November 3, 2024
Derek Carr Responds to Thomas' Rant
On Nov. 3, 2024 Derek Carr addressed Michael Thomas's social‑media criticism in the Saints' postgame news conference, saying he "has love for Mike" but that he did not "really care for" the posts and that he had tried to call Thomas previously [1].
Quick Facts
What Happened
Following the Nov. 3, 2024 game in which Chris Olave was carted off after a pass from Derek Carr, Carr addressed Michael Thomas's on‑record social‑media criticism during the Saints' postgame news conference. Carr said, "I have love for Mike. And when he does that, I don't really care for it, obviously... I don't know what I did to him. I don't know why he feels that way," and added that he had attempted to call Thomas on several occasions though he did not receive a return call, according to ESPN reporting of the postgame remarks [1]. The comments were reported by multiple outlets (ESPN, Yahoo Sports, The Washington Post) and were framed as Carr expressing both personal concern for Thomas and confusion about the hostility, while also defending his intent on the field by saying he would "never do it on purpose" in coverage quoting Carr [1][4][5].
What They Said
“I have love for Mike. And when he does that, I don't really care for it, obviously... I don't know what I did to him. I don't know why he feels that way. I'm sorry for whatever he's dealing with, to make him feel like he's got to do that.”
“It's just something I would never do to a teammate... I would never do it on purpose.”
Why It Matters
Carr's Nov. 3 postgame comments mattered because they put the dispute on the record from the quarterback's perspective and responded directly to Thomas's public accusations. By saying he "has love for Mike" but that he did not "really care for" the posts and that he had tried to reach Thomas, Carr signaled both a willingness to engage privately (via attempted calls) and a public distancing from Thomas's tone; that on‑the‑record response closed the loop from social‑media accusation to formal team‑media interaction [1][5].
What Happened Next
After Carr's postgame remarks on Nov. 3, 2024, media accounts referenced both Thomas's November posts and Carr's public response; teammates and family members contributed reactions on social media (e.g., Josh Olave's endorsement of Thomas's posts) and outlets continued to report the dispute as unresolved. The collected sources show no public, on‑record reconciliation or apology by either Carr or Thomas through Feb. 19, 2026; Carr stated he had attempted to reach Thomas but was not returned, and Thomas had not issued a public retraction of his Nov. 3 statements in the available reporting [1][5][8].